Sunday, May 13, 2018

Annual Mother's Day Poem (2018)

Dear Mom,


There are some who bemoan those who write the same
ole’ same ole’, as though one should move
on to new ideas to jot down in pretty-rhythmic patterns.
As though the whole of existence is never stuck upon
singular thought.
But, I will never stop thoughts of you helping me up,
holding me long enough for a feeling of the earth
again.  Maybe I’ve relied on you too much, over these years,
but it’s a comfort to know you were there.
I’m never afraid of letting you know what you’ve meant
and my heart breaks for those who don’t get to continue to say
because tragedy struck them hard.  I’m thankful
that you’re here, and I know that if I lost you today
I would have an orchestra of songs:
Our memories in my head.
Homeschooled me in the first grade, emphasized
my alphabet, and got me caught up on words so I
was addicted to them.
I’d sneak a string cheese at Hazekamps,
thinking you were letting me get away with it,
till years later but you gave the empty wrapper
at the checkout counter.
How you brought home tomatoes, and with a little
reluctance let me have the last piece even though they
were your favorite.
Fighting for me back in fourth grade when I was afraid
of new teacher, even though I had to stay in class you had tried,
and it turned out fine.  I chose same teacher for next
year too.
Times when I begged – pushed by big brother
– and you gave in more times than you’d wanted.  You
should know that I’ve always been grateful
that I even had that chance
to bug you.
You’ve Got Mail, with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan
that you loved to watch, sweet and happy endings
I grew away from, but you should know I’ve always loved
that movie because of how much you did.
Or how I – well we all - spy you crying at movie sad spots,
we turned our heads like the Exorcist to see
if you were streaming tears,
which nine time out of ten,
 you were.
It’s a cliché, to say you were my first number one
fan, still hold that title even if my words have a little bit
more cursing than before.  I’ve admired you and the everlasting
support you’ve shown to all of us, and maybe I’m a bit too close
but I look around and I say – despite critiques of your parenting style
 – that you did alright.
Detractors and critics say you did this wrong or that,
and how maybe we relied on you too much, but I don’t
think anyone has the answer fully, I don’t think anyone
can claim the best route, but your road was and is full
of unabashed support and love.
Only regret is that there was one less of us in this world
to know what a wond

No comments:

Post a Comment