Monday, December 9, 2019

Appreciation - a poem

sometimes my language trips me up,
as a million thoughts stream out of my mouth
at any given time and the sky is thunder-struck
to open, and there you are, all beautiful and strong
and my words a mumble of incoherent babble
that i hope expresses in some fashion the way
i feel when i'm with you.

the way your dancing catches my eye
and guides me over to you and your eyes
and how they delight in the movements
that seem to come second-nature, like a language
studied, and you fluent and knowing
and there i am mumbling out something
sputtering out words, and trying to sway
to the beat, but you, you are fluent, and fluid
and your movement painted with concision
and I could swear i'd never appreciated dance
more than when i see you appreciating
dancing.

the way you say my name all sweet and delicate
and humorously depending on what the occasion
calls of it. and you call me, i pick up your phone call
and i anticipate, with a skipped breath, that hello
to come to me, unexpected in mornings, or evenings,
the way you chat with me until your ready to fall asleep
or before, when you want to catch up on your show,
and i'm thankful that i get to hear your voice
at all.

the way you touch my hand just because you want
to touch my hand, and draw circles with your fingers
over my fingers, and lay your palm on mine,
and nothing has felt more secure, more safe,
and the way your hand feels as i draw the circles and lay my
palm over yours, and give you my touches, and
how an embrace, full of both arms when i first see you
after not seeing you, and when seeing you guides
me to collect you up and hold you.

the way you dream of future possibilities,
the way you think of all the tomorrows
the way you aren't afraid to share with me the fears
in your heart, and the way you walk me out of my
own doubts and fears, and help me see the light
shining out of your green eyes,
the way you smile, at me, and stare
or when i stare and smile, and you say, what?
as though you don't know that I am in awe
with you.

the way towards our growing romance is lined with evergreens.
plants for all seasons, strong and withstanding the changing
and passing of the seasons, underneath the minor disagreements,
and the passionate heartfelt hopes, there is a foundation
of communications, where we opened our ears, and opened our mouths
and spoke deep, and listened well, and took a moment
to ponder what we, each other, you and i had wanted and said
yes, yes I truly madly deeply want that too.

the way you are impossibly perfect for me,
and the way you say i am perfect for you,
and the ways that each new weekend,
each new moment of clarification sprouts forth
another branch to hang our memories,
and our affections.

sometimes my language trips me up,
but you guide my words thru funnel into your heart
and you let me use them and refine them and speak
my language to you. my fluency in rhythms, and sounds
to highlight that which might sweep your feet,
and i am happily devoted to you,
endlessly devoted to you, taking great pains
to let you know, what your happiness
means to me, my sweet, sweet, beautiful
priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment