Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Don't Tell Me How to Grieve This - Fiction Assignment WINTER 2018


Don’t Tell Me How to Grieve This
The infant casket was basically a Styrofoam cooler.   The sort that you might pack some cans of soda pop in with a layer of bagged ice.   I’m not entirely sure why that is the only thought that pops in my mind during the funeral service but that’s what it was.   They charged a bit for it too, bastards, as though they’d deserved that much.   He was cold the last time I’d held him, in the hospital, we hadn’t been there ten minutes before the doctor on duty at the ER had pronounced him.   He had asked me if I wanted to hold him one last time.   I felt the body responding to nothing, the fingers clasping for nothing, not for my finger or the way they clung at my breast at three ‘o’ clock in the morning.   I cradled him in my arms, and lightly swung him back and forth as though he were sleeping, but he was cold.   “He’s starting to turn blue,” I tell the doctor, but I didn’t cry.  It was like handing over a block of ice, I was disconnected.   The infant cooler housed the cold body of my son, but that wasn’t possible, because my son was cooing and kicking at home.  It was okay that it was Styrofoam, it reminded me of an impromptu family picnic.
My husband clutched onto my hand, and squeezed.   I turned toward him with no feelings of crying, not even at the sight of his teared face blotched red and rough from hours of crying.   He seemed to study my face a moment and sucked up a glob of snot that I had eyed coming out of his nostrils.   He wiped at his eyes, and turned his attention away from me and listened to the words of the lord being read off by the preacher.  “Too soon, too soon, too soon.”  Those were the words I remembered as though that was unique to this situation, “God needed another angel, he will join with that holy choir,” I audibly scoff as though I’m at a stand-up comedy night and just heard the lamest joke possible.  I want to tell everyone, “He was only four months old, he wasn’t going to be a part of any choir.”  I felt like no one would get that.
After the service the people gather around in various states of snorts and hiccups, blubbering like babies and hugging me too long as though that was going to help me let loose.   My son was in a beer cooler being prepared to be lowered into the earth in just a couple of hours.  They thought they had a better grasp on the situation because they were blubbering and hugging.   I see my oldest son sitting near his father and he’s got his head buried in that man’s side.  That man spilling tears over his nice polo shirt, looking like he’d just spilled grease on it like so many other family outings.   My sister Gracie prepared the food, little dinner rolls with slices of deli ham and Colby cheese lined out like a potluck.  I don’t see why we should have bothered to feed everyone, it wasn’t their baby that died.  Why should we be supplying the food just because my son’s funeral inconvenienced their day.  My youngest son is clinging to the side of my black dress, and I almost forgot he was there except that I almost knocked him over when I turned to go outside to the car.  He isn’t crying either, it’s his birthday in a couple days, guess we will try to remember to celebrate it.   I take his hand and lead him outside where I sit in the car and avoid the people who want to make me feel what they think I should feel.
When all the people have left I send my kids off with my mother-in-law.   I don’t want to but people keep telling me it might be good for my husband and I to get out of town for a couple days, and I don’t want to go back to the house.  It’s still as though he’s there, and I hadn’t slept a wink since I found him silent in the crib.   Still, as my youngest and my oldest drive off in my mother-in-laws car I can’t help feeling a twinge of guilt.  They should be with people who are going to laugh and make them smile, not the walking dead.
We get into our station wagon and I feel I should drive because he’s not going to be able to in the state he’s in.  Looking like he doused himself with boiling batter his cheeks so red and swollen.   The roads are a little slick that day, and it seems only fitting that I hit a patch of ice not even a mile from our house.  The car spins around, and I brace myself against the door and then the front end collides down into a ditch.   There’s a moment of silence, and I wonder if I’m alive or dead, I figured it wouldn’t matter.  We look at each other, he and I, and then we burst out laughing.  “What next God!  Keep the hits coming!”  My face is beat red with guttural bursts of laughter, and then I sigh and then I cry.   I cry harder than I ever have, I cry for the moment I knew he was gone, for the moment the ambulance turned on its lights courteously, and when the doctor handed me a corpse, and I cry that I didn’t hold him longer.  I cry at that fucking beer cooler buried in the ground a half a mile from our front door.  I cry because my life is never going to be whole again.

No comments:

Post a Comment