Thursday, June 7, 2018

Style Journals - Assignment from Style class Winter 2018


Style Journal #1
            Reading about food will never lead to boredom?  
            Seems to be a pretty bold statement for someone who isn’t exactly offering any sort of sustenance.  Reading about food as it is - as if what it is is just colorful surfaces and juice - does not fulfill you.  Food is meant to be eaten.  Sure, let’s just assume that what you meant is that the food is going to give to us a personal satisfaction in our own creative core to the way a piece of bread might feel to an empty stomach.  Food alone is not the meal of the heart.  The main course is the motivation of that food.  I for one don’t see much excitement jumping out at me from the description of a piece of melon.  All that does is make me want to eat melon.  Give me drama, give me stakes and not steaks.
            My writing needs to have dynamics.  Just as in life, I don’t care much for food.  It’s something that needs to be made, and needs to be consumed on a very basic human level.  Food is science.  Writing is art.  Yes, you may go on to tell me, “Does the chef not see his food as art?” and to that question I might reply - since I have in my time been a chef of varying skill - that yes a chef is an artist.  He is making something to be consumed by others.  Sounds familiar doesn’t it.  I write for my own personal enjoyment.  I don’t enjoy looking at the food for very long because I want to eat it.  What purpose does a description of food do?  Does the food have urgency?
            Let’s suppose that I am going to write about food, and I am going to provide it with some urgency.  First off what is something that food will do if it sits out to long in the world not properly heated or cooled.  It will rot.  Now, I am going to talk about that.  Now, that food has urgency.   Let’s give its inner workings those human qualities: that peach skin like a frail rotting flesh of a newly dispatched human.   If I’m not going to consume it, here is my arc: a piece of food rots.   Still not that exciting, unless I take a closer look at all the microscopic little shits that are eating it away.  Those little shits being the microorganisms that start feeding on the dead flesh.  With this new outlook I am one step closer to the drama.  It is a battle now inside that peach.  No need to pick a side, or if you have to, pick the invading microorganism because at least they are going to win.  If our protagonist is the existing organisms they are screwed, the shits from the outside air are coming to take their home.  This is still lacking a dynamic. Why?  Because the other side has laid down and died.  They couldn’t help it.  It was nature.   Evolutionary aspects of Darwinism at work.  Survival of the fittest.  There are no grand battles to be fought.  It’s like if the British were like, “Hey we lost at Dunkirk, better just let them German’s stroll inside.”  You could have last stands but then that ending is a bleak inevitability.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………..


Style Journal #2: imitation of Dave Barry
            To write about food is to never be bored.   That’s what the suggestion said to me as it laid there in front of me - in black ink - during my three in the afternoon class.  The rational being that food is colorful, and full of texture and that everyone vividly remembers the perishables they insert into their gullets on a day to day basis.  Though, I’d be hard pressed to find someone who would say, “These chicken nuggets deserve an ode written about them,” for they are more likely to be bothered by the fact that said chicken nuggets have sent them to the john only hours later.
            My argument then as I began was that food is not dynamic.  Food offers no drama, food in and of itself is not art.  Here we enter onto a slippery slope because who was I to determine what art was.   Certainly a pastry chef might be partial to calling their creation artistic, but I alone am but a humble college student who cooks and eats not for artistic merit but for basic consumption.   The food I am making is less advert worthy and more likely to be pictured in the dictionary next to the words “charred” or “arson.”
            Then as I embark on this impromptu endeavor I happen upon a thought,  “Can I indeed inject food with some sort of drama?”  The average man may say that the only think you can inject food with is chemicals.  This led me to an idea, what if I wrote about the rot of food.  On a very biological level rotting food must have some inherent drama.  It is an invasion of bacteria and other chemical reactions that result out of the death of the mother melon.  As the Nazi bacteria invaded the Poland of the surface of said fruit, they would have no choice but to throw their hands up and surrender.  In this way drama has surely begun but it is not as satisfying as real drama.  There was no fight.  What we have now is a full on tragedy.   There was a never a chance from the beginning

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Style Journal #3:  Mini-Analysis of Charles Dickens

            Charles Dickens appears to enjoy employing several consistent stylistic tendencies as observed through the works “A Christmas Carol,” and “Great Expectations.”   It should be noted that the point of view of each story are told in different ways, the prior one is a third person narrative, and the latter a first person narrative account.  However, both share some commonalities that may point to stylistic approaches such as his use of interrupting commentary, long winded sentences, low to mid-range vocabulary, and allowing for a very approachable style for an easier read.
            In a passage near the beginning of Chapter 9 of “Great Expectations,” Dickens - through the voice of his narrator - gives a straightforward interpretation of feeling misunderstood but then in the middle of it he breaks up the sentence with an interruption  and commentary on the statement being written by saying “- which I consider probable, as I have no particular reason to suspect myself of having been a monstrosity -” this is a very Dickens thing to do.  Another passage from that same story reads, “In the terror of seeing the figure, and in the terror of being certain that it had not been a moment before, I at first ran from it, and then ran towards it,” this also involves a minor narrative intrusion.
            Dickens appears to have a love for the long-winded sentence.  “A Christmas Carol,” is filled with many passages of lists that seem to go on far too long.   Dickens enjoys his uses of commas, and semicolons as he crafts the twists and turns of his narration.  Aside from the lists of “A Christmas Carol,”  Dickens also incorporates this long winded approach to “Great Expectations,” writing ninety-one words that run on in a non-run on sentence.  Carefully and precise use of punctuation accentuate the enjoyment Dickens seems to get out of playing with the words at his disposal.  There is a strong iconoclasm involved with Dickens, and its shows off in his sentence structure, but not to the point of being overwhelming.
            Dickens appears to keep his long-winded sentences filled with low to mid-range vocabulary.  Descriptive words like foul, narrow, wretched, drunken are used to offer an approachable narrative in “A Christmas Carol,” and “Great Expectations,” with its even loftier ideas still keeps the words relatively approachable with frosty, coarse, incomprehensible, and treacherous.  It would appear he can’t help but sneak some loftier language into the latter work such as ignominiously, and adamantine.
            The low to mid-range vocabulary allows Dickens to offer his audience a chance to comprehend the piece.  His descriptions are fairly spot on, not spending too much time - especially in “A Christmas Carol” - on allowing the reader to form their own opinions of the environments they are entering.   Phrases, and words like, “infamous resort,” “low bred”, and “mountains of unseemly rags,” help say exactly what Dickens thinks the reader should think of the place being seen.  “Great Expectations,” offers a very generous play-by-play of its story, allowing the reader to easily follow along with the flow of events.  He is an emotional writer, and opinionated, but very solicitous because he still makes sure his reader is oriented, and guides them to what they should be thinking.


Style Journal #4:  My Influences

             My earliest literary influence has to have been Charles Dickens.  I read A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations early on in High School.  Yes I read a lot of other books, but it was until that point that I was like “Man, these sprawling, contrived stories are the bees knees,” and I was thinking with all that description and all of that character was the epitome of a great a writer.  Then I read some Victor Hugo, and I was annoyed with delight.  How else do you explain the beautiful and long-winded, almost infuriating forty some page explanation of the battle of Waterloo, or the Jean Valjean battle of conscious chapter that goes on For-ev-er.  It was extremely fascinating how much attention of detail he had, and it was one of the first novels to physically make me cry.
            There were a lot of required reading in high school like To Kill a Mockingbird, and Lord of the Flies that also influenced me a great deal.  I thought the stories were beautiful and it was never a chore for me to have to read any such stories at all.  There was never any argument on my part to have to read them.  But they told simple, if even violent stories, with symbolism, confrontations, beautiful and tragic characters.
            I was writing before this.  Ever since I could read, I was writing stories.  But those books in particular got me to see story, plot and characters for what they could be.  But, my writing was completely influenced yet, and it wasn’t until I was out of High School that I discovered two of my all time favorite authors.   Nicky Hornby and Chuck Palahniuk.  They wrote with surprising brevity for being stream of conscious, with incredibly diverse character voices in that first person point of view.   And I began to discover all of their collective works, and I realized this, this first person POV, stream of conscious genius was what I wanted to do.  Not only that but I could be other characters, I could be anybody.  I was also allowed to ramble and find a story through associations, and it was a wake up call.   I didn’t realize that you could do that for some reason.  There was always this strict story structure, and strict forms of writing that we studies that it was refreshing to be like hey let your mind be free, try on different shoes.  And I did, and I still do.


Style Journal #5: Writing Process and Preferred Tools and Preparations

            Just give me a computer keyboard and let me ramble on a little bit.  I’ll write out what I need to say but maybe about 5000 words over.  Maybe I’ll scale it back a little bit, editing whole pages, but the point is to say it as much as I can and as many ways as I can.  I have a habit of worrying whether or not I am getting the point across.  It is a very stream of consciousness sort of thing.  I don’t have to write with a keyboard, but it's easier to get the thoughts out because they flow a little too fast.   If I’m writing poetry I might pick up a Bic click pencil, and it has to be .5mm led, the smaller the better.  I prefer to write tiny until my hand starts to cramp up or if I get too close to the end of a page then the words start to balloon out and gather some fat on them.
            Word processors have to be set to Times New Roman 12-point font.  I feel like when I was in school that was the default that Word went to but for some reason now it starts on Arial, and it’s 11-point.  It doesn’t seem as slick to me to write that way.  I’ll have an idea then, and like I’ve already stated that’s when the words begin to pop out.
            I don’t take copious amounts of notes.  I can’t.  It doesn’t all come out, but I have a collection of ideas stuck in my head from years and years on.  Some of them may have been formed in elementary school if I’m honest and I’ve simply added and added to them. 
            I hate writing for class, like academic stuff.  I do see the value in it but it is so restrictive and I try to flourish as much as I can but they tend to be frowned upon.  Keep it concrete the academics demand, but they mine as well have told me to keep it boring, and lame.   What’s the point of writing if you don’t get to play around with the words and make it sing.  There has to be a rhythm to everything, and usually that's how it comes out.
            I guess I used to fret over each page.  Used to sit there, and be disappointed that a certain sentence wasn’t coming out as liquid gold, but eventually I realized as the Hemingway quote went that, first drafts are shit, so I just write to write.  Maybe I’ll end up deleting most of it, but it's about getting it all out as best I can.  It feels more natural to how I think and the closest I’ll get to properly voicing the ideas that are in my head.
            So that’s how I approach writing.  I like the sound of the keyboard, like machinery, because it makes me feel like there’s a machination working towards some kind of forward momentum.  I will say that yes of course if its academic writing I have to have some kind of preparation because I have to use specific terminology, and provide the proper quotes, but even then, in that first draft, I try to remember the things that I have read, and the notes that I might have taken and the quotes that I have collected, and I try to remember what it all meant and I will stream of conscious the shit out of that paper, and then go back and plug in the quotes otherwise I am not writing as myself.


Style Journal #6: Imitation - Stein
            If writing about food will never lead to boredom then why am I bored writing about food.  The writing that I am doing when I’m writing out of boredom about food is bore from my boredom that food is not enticing.  Enticing is the opposite of boredom and I cannot be enticed to write boredom into an enticing manner so it is with boredom that I write about food.  Food being boring and not enticing the boredom to feeling does not give me excitement that food can be personal.  Excitement is personal and if I were to write that the food were not boring then the boring food would be a lie and lying is not the way I lay myself to sleep.  Sleeping is enticed out of boredom because it is the only way to escape the food that I am forced to write about.   But if I am sleeping out of boredom and not eating the food for having to write about it I cannot be satisfied that I have written anything of importance.
            A chef may be an artist with a knife, a knife the pen of the chef that the writer might use had he been a chef who chose to write with a knife but the chef writes his meal not with ink or lead but with food.  Ink or lead may poison the eater but if the artistic chef were artistic chef because of the knife pen that he might use to cook then his cooking would not elicit boredom, and the boredom that I am eliciting is not my own for I care not for the food for it bores me.  The chef may be boring to the writer and the writer will be bored with the chef for the preparation is drowsy, and sleepy and we cannot be what we are not if what we are not is enticed.  If we are not enticed then we are bored and I cannot write about food and be enticed for I am not cooking and writing with a knife nor am I a chef.
            The only way to think about being enticed by food is to think not with boredom and in boredom not think of food in its usual way for enticing it is to pretend and assume that if you were to write about food in an interesting way you would have to give food life.  Giving food life is good for the garden but I am not a farmer just as I am not a chef.  Not a chef or a farmer is who I am.  Who I am is not a chef or a farmer but  writer enticed to write about boring food.  Boring food to be enticing must be made to come alive, and not alive in a way that it comes to be boring, but alive in a way to be enticing to a me that supposes that food is enticing.  But the me that supposes that food is enticing is not a real me but  made up me and if I am made up then I am not enticed to be enticed by the enticing enticement of food that is boring bored and bore out of me.   Out of me is the thought to write food so that it seems enticing and not boring, and not enticing but boring is how the non-supposed me views the food that is boring.
            So food will be bore to be boring to me, and to me food will boringly bore the boredom from the enticing idea of writing, and I will suppose myself to sleeping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Pure stream of consciousness and play on words that lead into a new thought but also repeat the same thought, but also make it new and say the same things in a similar way.  Just good word association, and a tripping up of sounds that play well together.

STYLE JOURNAL #9

A Vow of Cataclysm
What I am saying now is a lie, because there is no way to explain myself in the most truthful of manners.  I am a good person and I have never tried to hurt anyone ever before.  Did you catch the lie?  Good.  Now I am going to tell you a truth, but not the truth because I am not a monster.   Hurt is a word with some positive connotation, at least that’s how I choose to look at it, because if I saw hurt as the end all be all of terribleness I would be less than good and we have already established that I am no good.   This is the contradiction of me.  When I was nineteen years old I had the chance to marry the girl of my dreams, and she was ready but I was unwilling.  I did not touch her, not with a fist, but with a tip of a finger along the arch of her back.   I did not touch her with my knuckles, or with the bottom of my pendulum swinging foot.  This is a truth, this is not the lie.  But, she wanted me more than I wanted her and what was there to do but break her heart.  I took it between each hand and wrange it out like an old rag filled with sweat and then when it was properly dried I rang it out some more till it twisted and tore, and then I dropped it in the trash.  I made some promises to this girl, promises that I meant at the time, and I meant them, but maybe I didn’t.  It could have been that I just wanted her to let me inside, but I was blinded by the way she wore her hair.   What I am saying now is a lie, because there is only one way to admit the truths of myself and that is by saying exactly what is not the truth.   Truth is, I’m a liar by nature, force of habit, cliched in my lexicon on how to describe the monstrosity of my bullshit.  When she said, “I want you to give me your life, to share, to cherish,” I told her she could, I told her it was so, and when she said, “I love you,” I took them only as words necessary to keep my bed full.  What happens next is the absolute truth, I ripped her to shreds.   A raggedy old towel, I had broke and beaten until she couldn't stand up without her crutch, her crutch being me, and her physical body was fine of course but I feel it almost would have been better if I had hit her.  Because then she would not have been surprised by the homicide of her soul as I left her crippled on the floor.


STYLE JOURNAL #10
Small Expectations
During the course of the blind date set up by some friends of mine - whom I would rather not call my friends-  I came to the conclusion that my well being was not at the heart of the choices they were making for me.  The girl across from me at that moment at the local diner lovingly referred to as “That Diner” was dressed to the nines.  A purple cocktail dress that hugged her frame, and as I bit into my burger for the second time I was continuously aware just how underdressed I really was.  It was the catchup - that spilled from the front of my undercooked burger and splattered onto my black t-shirt - that really made me take notice of my ridiculous state.  They didn’t tell me this girl was going to be caked in makeup that she had expertly put on or that I should have been prepared for the effort she’d put forward.   I showed up in jeans and short sleeve shirt because that was the attire that I was most comfortable wearing.  Far be it for me to assume that my friends might stop and think for a moment and possibly set me up with someone who better fit my style of dress and who did not hold the weight for dates that this girl obviously had.  No self respecting beauty queen like the one in front of me was going to find potato chip grease stains attractive.  I hadn’t even shaved that morning if I’m going to be completely honest.   So, there I was with a five o'clock shadow wishing to God I could be smited where I stood because there was just no way in hell that I was ever going to pull the miracle of impressing this girl.  She took a bite of her chef salad, which consisted of a thick piece of poorly sliced lettuce and a dripping tomato, and she chewed with her mouth closed, a muffled crunch trying to escape the suffocation of her lips.   She dabbed at her face with her napkin even though there was nothing left to dab and her head hung low attempting to avoid eye contact with me, but I knew for damn sure that her eyes had made eye contact with the very obvious glob of red tomato paste that now plastered my greasy stained t-shirt.
“So, what is it you do for fun?”  She asked me.
If I told her the truth that I preferred to sit on my ass at home and hunker down into my gaming chair for over sixty rounds of Halo she probably would have pushed the plate of lettuce forward and demanded a refund of her time, which obviously since I am not some celestial being I was not going to be able to provide for her.   Instead I say, “Stuff,” and move on from there to take another bite from my burger.  At the back and front of my mind I know I should attempt to reconcile the stain present on my clothes, but I don’t.  If I rub it in it’ll just make the affected space larger and then I’ll just look like more of an ass.
“Stuff?”  She inquirers.
“Stuff, you know,” I talk with my mouth full because at that moment it didn’t seem like it mattered if I made a good impression or not, “like I play video games, and I write reviews for video games, and I watch Let’s Plays, which you know is people playing video games, and I guess I just video game for life, you know what I mean?”
“That’s so cool.”  She said in this geeky pixie girl voice.  And she beamed and leaned in toward me, cupping her chin in each of her palms like a pedestal for a statuette.   “What’s your favorite type of game, personally I play a lot of first person shooters, because I’m kind of busy at work teaching all these preschoolers how to count to five and shit, but sometimes you just want to go home, and relax and nothings more baller than blowing a bunch of space marines too hell with a tectonic multi orbital ray cannon that you just stole from some frost giant on the planet Nimbu-lock.  Because the sound of the explosion coming out of your surround sound is so boss it shakes the whole living room.”
Another glob of catchup drips on my shirt but not from my burger itself but the burger sitting mushed in my mouth as I sit slack jawed and awe inspired.   “I need to marry you.”  I say out loud, and I’m not even halfway kidding.
She then leans back into her chair and stabs some more salad with her fork and chews on it with mouth closed, and a smile spreads on her face like she’s pleased as punch.  I still stare on as she points at me with her fork and says, “Cant marry me with all that shit on your shirt though, probably should wipe it off handsome.”  She winks, and all I can think of his how fucking cool she is.
That was how I met my first wife.


Style Journal #11: Something I should Regret but Don’t
Harsh Language
I’m not one for harsh language used in the spur of the moment, during some heated altercation that might elicit a problematic vocabulary.  So when I used that word in reference to a girl that I had confessed to be in love with you must understand that it came from a place of utter black.  A void in my heart of the misery caused over the course of a month, or maybe several, in retrospect that is probably more appropriate to say.   She was a manipulative little snake, and I do have to say that I enjoyed being manipulated, at first.  Those of us who are easy targets for leeches are accustomed to being toyed with and lied to, we tend to lend ourselves like doey eyed little guinea pigs to the eventual slaughter.   The blades are apparent in the hands of the killer and yet we follow them anyways.
I loved her, as much as I could.  She was fun, and mysterious and sort of broken, and there wasn’t much that I liked to do more than try and fix broken things, but there she was kissing me and loving me, and telling me that she wanted to escape.  There are details left out because they are not appropriate to reveal here, but what led me to using that “C” word was a culmination of all of this bullshit.   She was trapped in a perpetual hell of her own devising, one that she had built up and caged herself in and that she possessed the key to escape from.   Yet, somehow she spoke sweetly in my ear and got me to go along with her imprisonment, and I all too eager to help her. 
Some time passed then, and we had a bit of a falling out.  I was attached at the hip, sewn into her thigh with a poisoned needle and thread, and she was all too eager to escape being stuck with me.  She had other men she wanted to invite into her cage, and thus she tried to tempt me with acquaintances of hers, and said to me that she had a single friend who might just be what I need.  But, i pleaded with her and said no, no dear, you are the taste in my mouth and the hearing in my ear, but she dumped me, left me alone, and I ended up meeting this friend she tried to pawn me off upon.
This friend turned out to be more of a daffodil than the weeded garden of former queen B, but not “B” as in babe, bee, or boss, but “B” as in bitch for that was what she’d been.   A month since departing the caged relationship and i started to like this friend, she was sweeter than I’d thought, but then “C” word got it in her head that she wanted me back, that she had a right to be jealous, and rather than come straight up to me and tell me this herself, she went to her friend, whom she had known longer than I, and she pulled her shoulder down so as to get closer to her ear, and she vomited up blasphemy about me, and then my phone rang.
I picked it up, and new girl said she didn’t think what we were doing was right, that what we were doing seemed awfully fishy, that what we were doing was just me trying to dive my way into her pants, that i’d simply been spending time and talking about life as a precursor to unbuckling, and unzipping but that was not the method of my flirtations.  But then I could hear my sweet little “B” my maggoty little “C”, ex-B, ex-C, saying more to get me to falter, to get me to hurt, inviting me to fall for someone else, just so she could stab me with a few sharp pricks from her stinger.
She got on the phone eventually, when she realized I would succeed possibly at explaining my real, and good intentions, of wanting to get to know this girl, and she put me on speaker, unbeknownst to me and she said what she needed, and she had a tone in her voice to rival Satan’s laughter, and the amusement held then made me shout out the “C” and when I called her that, and had no intention of “Seeing You Next Tuesday” she had caught me in a trap.  I sounded like a mad man, a wolf, shouting an abusive word over the phone, and that’s when she beat me, whipped me, killed me, and when I realized she wasn’t human, but a tiny little “C” word.  I think about regretting it, I think about healing it, but that wound she gave me was deep, and my vocal rebuttal a defense, that I was never worried I overstepped a line, because I just stood plenty away from that line and spit a loogie in her face.  And that felt good for me, then.


No comments:

Post a Comment