Tuesday, October 29, 2019

InkTober 2019 19 - 29 (Another Speed Round of Poetry)

19. SLING
are we talking about the kind,
are we talking about the type,
the ones used for injuries
the ones used for injuring
the ones that might fell giants
or the ones that might mend bones
there's a laundry list of things
that do much harm and much good.

20. TREAD
tires move over roads with the aid of grips
on the outsides of bodies, that latch
onto roads, with aid of motors, and gadgets,
gears, and engines,
combustion and exhaust.
we move forward with aid of feet,
muscles and tendons, and all that animation
gear, that helps us move a step
at a time, and lets us watch, a step
at a time, and our destination,
it maybe be far, and our destination,
it may be near, but our tread is wearing down.

we need to rejuvenate,
reboot sometimes, need to find a moment
of rest, and reprise the trek when we can,
we need to revitalize our worn
wheels, need to rotate our tires,
need to commandeer our steering wheels.

21.  TREASURE
If I had to place a word on it I wouldn't call it treasure,
its not something I plundered from the bottom of the ocean
deep. If I had to place a word on it, I wouldn't place it on
it at all. The words would surround it, and their baselines
would follow all around its edges, it'd permeate through it
not damaging, but like osmosis, symbiotically. If I had to put
a word on it, it wouldn't be called treasure, you are not a treasure,
this love is not a treasure, it is a gift given by you.

22.  GHOST
yeah I have my demons,
they exist in that closet over there by my skeletons
once in awhile I peak in on them
other times they let me know they are still there.

yeah I have my ghosts,
that haunt me from daybreak to sundown, and wish
me ill health. I don't try to focus to much on them,
because they knew me as I was then,
as I was when: heartbreak, jealousy, depression, prevailed.
yeah, they are there.

yeah I have that room,
that hole in my pocket, that when hand is reached inside
seems to fall down forever, but I also
have a large sunrise illuminating my world, my outsides,
and I have no room to linger there,
I'll heed the warning, and caution signs
of transgressions, because we all transgress,

yeah we all transgress,
it matters more that you're willing to see you have,
that your willing to learn a little something
from those you hurt and who hurt you,
and see if you can narrate your own story.

yeah,
I got those,
but im so much more than my
ghosts.

23. ANCIENT

America isn't,
old enough to drink,
isn't old enough to drive,
isn't old enough to smoke,
isn't old enough to purchase lottery ticket,
isn't old enough to travel alone,
is old enough to know better
is old enough to learn
is old enough to mentor
is old enough to grow
but doesn't.

24. DIZZY

Ever play that game?

Place your forehead on the bat,
keep the bat vertical in the dirt
and spin around a bunch,
running around in a little circle
and run off into weeds,
stumbling as you try to dart
across lawn,
and tripping over yourself.

I wonder if that's what he does
in oval office,
in office chair, and then makes
a call to Ukraine, China,
wonder if he's dizzy,
and stumbling through
makes sense. 

Works for children,
not for presidents.

25. TASTY

Some flavors have no name,
they exist in a blank place
we can describe them some ways,
but we know they are inaccurate,
and sometimes they don't have a flavor
which is why they have no name,
but we know they taste good
and we know we want more of them
and we know because we've had our fill
and those flavors never fill us up.

26. DARK

It's what happens when the lights go out
in the middle of the night
and when no one is there to hold you.

27. COAT

I want to wear your love over me like a coat of armor,
I want to march into battle with essays, and video projects
and tire issues, and I want to know that you'll protect me.
I want to wear your love like a lab coat,
something that'll keep all the poisonous thoughts off of my self,
and will build my confidence in my position.
I want to wear your love like a winter coat,
like a thick and warm parka, that insulates me against the bitter stings
of distance, and makes jealousy obsolete,
I want to wear your love like a coat,
maybe a light jacket, that softly touches my neck,
and kisses, "I adore you."

28. RIDE

i think i'll fondly be able to recall our first weeks together,
or months, because it involved so many rides,
it involved plane rides, and car rides, and train rides, 
and bus rides. I think I'll fondly remember
counting down minutes as GPS mumbles out in computer voices
in a quarter mile, in half a mile, in sixty-seven miles,
turn right, turn left, merge right, merge left, slight right,
and slightly onward it directed me. I think i'll fondly be able to see
in vivid details the sight of you meeting me,
at airport terminal, or bus terminal, or at your front door,
or in a meeting room. I will remember you rode shotgun back,
passenger seat, head on my shoulder, fingers atop mine, and singing
songs from DISNEY shows, and wondering,
how beautiful it is that you want me to ride
in airplanes with you.

29. INJURED

ambulances cost a lot of money they say,
so better for you to bleed out than pay to be saved,
ambulances cost a lot of money,
that's just a fact, hang up the phone,
use your thoughts and prayers,
and don't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment